Business Information for Michigan Residents
From Kresge Library
Compiled by Corey Seeman
These are business information resources that are available to Michigan residents.
 Industry Codes
- For more information, see the wiki page on SIC
- For more information, see the wiki page on NAICS
 Useful Pages on the Kresge Library Wiki
Pages on the Kresge Wiki that primarily include resources that anyone can use:
- Business Plan Resources includes mostly freely available resources to help build and write a business plan.
- Import/Export includes links to resources that help look at the flow of goods across country lines.
- International Business Resources includes links to many government and freely available websites with critical information on doing business across the globe.
- Entrepreneurship Websites includes excellent resources on a variety of entrepreneurial topics.
 Databases Available to all Michigan Residents
- Provided by the Michigan Electronic Library
- Databases of note include:
- Business Insights: Essentials - Business Insights: Essentials is a fully integrated resource bringing together company profiles, brand information, rankings, investment reports, company histories, chronologies, and periodicals. Search this database to find detailed company and industry news and information.
- General BusinessFile ASAP - Analyze company performance and activity, industry events and trends as well as the latest in management, economics and politics. Access to a combination of broker research reports, trade publications, newspapers, journals and company directory listings with full text and images available.
- Small Business Research Center - Full text database that provides resources on how to start, finance or manage your small business. Resources include sample business plans, how to guides, articles and websites.
- Info Trac Newsstand- includes a collection of more than 1,000 newspapers from around the country and the world. Includes the New York Times (1985-current).
- Also visit the Jobs and Careers page at MEL.
 Databases Available to Walk-in Users at Michigan Libraries
 Ingham County
- Located at 50 Law College Building (in the lower level). The Law College is directly across Shaw Lane from the Broad College of Business on the campus of Michigan State University.
 Livingston County
 Oakland County
- The Southfield Public Library has one of the finest business collections in all of Southeast Michigan.
- Also check out the Southfield Business Info Blog maintained by the library.
 Washtenaw County
 Wayne County
- Information about the Business, Science & Technology Department located in the main building
 Demographics Resources
- Under the catagory People is population data for the entire U.S. and some demographic maps by state.
- Look up the number of establishments, sales, payroll, and employees for an industry using Economic Fact Sheet for an Industry under Business and Government.
- For city or county level data use the American Community Survey under Data Sets.
- Offers additional demographic data on government employment, county business patterns, and more.
- For demographics look at the various Michigan Regional Governments.
- Links to government information and statistics for Ann Arbor, Detroit, Washtenaw County, and Wayne County.
- Includes world population information, country rankings and summary, population pyramids, and tables.
- Look at the Common Database (UNCDB) for population and economic information by country.
- Use the Demographic Yearbook for population, birth, death, marriage, and divorce rates.
- Search other databases such as Social Indicators or Population and Housing Census.
- Created by the Human Development Project and measures the "well-being of America," including health, education, and income.