Databases for Nonprofit Research
From Kresge Library
Compiled By Corey Seeman
Here are some links to resources that are central to the Research Non Profits Instruction Class at Kresge Library.
 Primary Databases
- Why use Guidestar?
- Research individual nonprofit organizations in the United States.
- Search by any characteristic of an organization.
- Seek out peer institutions by just about any criteria.
- Find IRS 990 annual reports for non profits, the most offered from any database offered at the University of Michigan.
- Find board members and officers at American nonprofits.
Foundation Directory Online (Link for all University of Michigan)
- Why use Foundation Directory Online?
- Ability to find news about grants provided from foundations and nonprofits that receive them.
- Access to PubHub – a centralized database of reports about nonprofits and foundations. Great place to find “best practices”.
- Power Search (on main page) searches all their resources including the articles/books catalog. NOTE: Many items are available via the University of Michigan - feel free to contact the Kresge Library for assistance.
- Why use OneSource?
- Research larger individual nonprofit organizations in the United States.
- Ability to find "corporate family" – great for health organizations
- Ability to find news and executives for these organizations
- Ability to find peer organizations
- Ability to find organizations and associations, primarily in the United States.
 News Databases
Also see the Key Journals for Nonprofits page.
- Why use ABI/Inform (ProQuest)?
- Ability to find news about nonprofit organizations
- Great resource for articles about nonprofit management and general issues
- Non-Ross students may use this resource at Kresge Library
- Database features a wide variety of academic and industry-oriented business periodical literature (such as the Harvard Business Review); including access to many articles and newspapers in full text.
- Link for Non-Ross Students
- Excellent general resource (similar to ABI/Inform) with articles on nearly every subject
 Other Kresge Databases to Consider
- Link for non-Ross Students
- Wide coverage of US organizations in reports such as Community Housing Services in the US & Grantmaking and Giving Services in the US.