ES395 Entrepreneurial Management
From Kresge Library
Questions? E-mail your Librarian or Sally Ziph email@example.com
- Kresge Library email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Business Planning
- Kresge Library Business Plan Resources Wiki Page - See Len's materials for Business plan instructions.
- Kresge Library Entrepreneurial Wiki Page
- Kresge Library Non-Profit Wiki
- ABI/Inform Global (ProQuest)--choose advance search for articles on business plans (GO IN THRU A-Z list under QUICK LINKS, USE UM PORTAL)
- Business Source Complete--articles on business planning, new products, strategic planning
- Harvard Business School Cases--HBS Cases on business plans. We can order them for you, ask your librarian.
 Patent, Trademark, and Copyright
- Lexis Nexis Academic--Patents, 1971-Present. Search under Legal Tab.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- UM Art, Architecture & Engineering Library Patent Sources
- US Copyright office
 Potential Contacts
- Associations Unlimited-- worldwide associations
- Michigan Venture Capital Association
- Ann Arbor Angels
- Angel Capital Association
- Nonprofit Enterprises at Work
- World of Learning -- faculty and institutions of higher learning
- Reference USA-- white & yellow pages for US businesses
- U of M Office of Technology Transfer --information for student entrepreneurs
- Ross Alumni-- through iMpact
 Companies and Industries
FYI: Some of these include "SWOT" analyses=strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats facing a company
- OneSource Global Business Browser: US and AsiaPac Editions
- IBIS World-- industry reports, analysis
- MarketLine--company and industry information, analysis
- Standard&Poor's NetAdvantage-- industry reports
- ThomasNet-- manufacturers of all types of products for you to browse
- Mergent Online--good for financial data
- Morningstar Document Research--SEC filings
- Reference USA --make lists of types of companies (even very small) in a geographic area. Also uses and contains SIC and NAICS codes
- Orbis--includes small, international and other hard to find companies.
"'NAICS and SIC codes--Useful for searching Company and Industry Databases ABOVE'" NAICS uses a six digit hierarchical coding system to classify all economic activity into twenty industry sectors. SIC uses 4 digits.
 Market Research
- MINTEL--a lot of market info. mixed in with consumer information.
- e-Marketer--internet marketing research and trends
- IBIS World --though industry reports, these often contain market information
- Market Line—search for Datamonitor industry reports. Reports often contain tables with market share and/or size
- Global Market Information Database (GMID) -—search in text box, build list of criteria, includes North America.
- Business Insights: Essentials--company, industry market share and more
- Market Share Reporter--market share (in print) Ref. coll. HF5410 .M34
- Plunkett Research--some niche industries not covered by other marketing sources
"'Specialized Market Reports'"
- Sports Business Research Network
- Frost & Sullivan--high tech and biomedical market reports
- Gartner--market Research and analyst reports on the IT industry.
- Faulkner's IT Advisory aka FAITS--specific IT information
- Forrestor Research--market Research, IT, software, systems, new technologies
- Medical e-Track--email your Librarian if you want the PDF of a report.
- Business Monitor--political,industry sector, and economic environment for industries all over the world, including United States.
 Journal Articles
- ABI/Inform Global--articles on a wide range of business topics. Use Advanced Search Tab.
- Business Source Complete--NOTE: only source of full-text Harvard Business Review articles.
- Web of Knowledge--might have articles on your company idea/product.
- Factiva--go-to source for Wall Street journal, company PR releases, conference calls. etc. Can browse WSJ daily headlines.
- Lexis Nexis Academic--a good last resort for articles on companies you can't find anywhere else.
 Venture Capital and Financial Information
- VentureXpert Web--venture capital firms, deals and more
- Zephyr-- source for deals, mergers and acquisitions
- National Venture Capital Association --includes resource list and VC industry overview
- Morningstar Document Research--MDR provides access to real-time SEC EDGAR filings, EDGAR archives through 1994. Also annual reports. Public companies
 Funding Sources
- Resources on Foundations and Grants --funding sources list from the UM Graduate Library.
- SBIR -- small business funding
LOCAL INFORMATION (for business plans based in Ann Arbor)
- SimplyMap--Detailed Demographics--EVERYWHERE in US.
- Ann Arbor News --articles from Newsbank. Select Michigan...
- Ann Arbor District Library --information on local business activities
- Ann Arbor Chamber of Commerce --local statistical and business information
- US Census Guide --from UM Government Documents Library site
- Reference USA --for making lists of local businesses
- Regional Business News -—includes Crain’s Detroit (GO IN THRU A-Z list under QUICK LINKS USE UM PORTAL)
- Consumer Statistics -—UM Government Documents Library Web Site--select Consumer Expenditures or Consumer Surveys