ES395 Entrepreneurial Management
From Kresge Library
Questions? E-mail your Librarian or Sally Ziph firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kresge Library email address: email@example.com
 Business Planning
- Kresge Library Business Plan Resources Wiki Page - See Len's materials for Business plan instructions.
- Kresge Library Entrepreneurial Wiki Page
- Kresge Library Non-Profit Wiki
- ABI/Inform Global (ProQuest)--choose advance search for articles on business plans (GO IN THRU A-Z list under QUICK LINKS, USE UM PORTAL)
- Business Source Complete--articles on business planning, new products, strategic planning
- Harvard Business School Cases--HBS Cases on business plans. We can order them for you, ask your librarian.
 Patent, Trademark, and Copyright
- Lexis Nexis Academic--Patents, 1971-Present. Search under Legal Tab.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- UM Art, Architecture & Engineering Library Patent Sources
- US Copyright office
 Potential Contacts
- Associations Unlimited-- worldwide associations
- Michigan Venture Capital Association
- Ann Arbor Angels
- Angel Capital Association
- Nonprofit Enterprises at Work
- World of Learning -- faculty and institutions of higher learning
- Reference USA-- white & yellow pages for US businesses
- U of M Office of Technology Transfer --information for student entrepreneurs
- Ross Alumni-- through iMpact
 Companies and Industries
FYI: Some of these include "SWOT" analyses=strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats facing a company
- OneSource Global Business Browser: US and AsiaPac Editions
- IBIS World-- industry reports, analysis
- MarketLine--company and industry information, analysis
- Standard&Poor's NetAdvantage-- industry reports
- ThomasNet-- manufacturers of all types of products for you to browse
- Mergent Online--good for financial data
- Morningstar Document Research--SEC filings
- Reference USA --make lists of types of companies (even very small) in a geographic area. Also uses and contains SIC and NAICS codes
- Orbis--includes small, international and other hard to find companies.
"'NAICS and SIC codes--Useful for searching Company and Industry Databases ABOVE'" NAICS uses a six digit hierarchical coding system to classify all economic activity into twenty industry sectors. SIC uses 4 digits.
 Market Research
- MINTEL--a lot of market info. mixed in with consumer information.
- e-Marketer--internet marketing research and trends
- IBIS World --though industry reports, these often contain market information
- Market Line—search for Datamonitor industry reports. Reports often contain tables with market share and/or size
- Global Market Information Database (GMID) -—search in text box, build list of criteria, includes North America.
- Business Insights: Essentials--company, industry market share and more
- Market Share Reporter--market share (in print) Ref. coll. HF5410 .M34
- Plunkett Research--some niche industries not covered by other marketing sources
"'Specialized Market Reports'"
- Sports Business Research Network
- Frost & Sullivan--high tech and biomedical market reports
- Gartner--market Research and analyst reports on the IT industry.
- Faulkner's IT Advisory aka FAITS--specific IT information
- Forrestor Research--market Research, IT, software, systems, new technologies
- Medical e-Track--email your Librarian if you want the PDF of a report.
- Business Monitor--political,industry sector, and economic environment for industries all over the world, including United States.
 Journal Articles
- ABI/Inform Global--articles on a wide range of business topics. Use Advanced Search Tab.
- Business Source Complete--NOTE: only source of full-text Harvard Business Review articles.
- Web of Knowledge--might have articles on your company idea/product.
- Factiva--go-to source for Wall Street journal, company PR releases, conference calls. etc. Can browse WSJ daily headlines.
- Lexis Nexis Academic--a good last resort for articles on companies you can't find anywhere else.
 Venture Capital and Financial Information
- VentureXpert Web--venture capital firms, deals and more
- Zephyr-- source for deals, mergers and acquisitions
- National Venture Capital Association --includes resource list and VC industry overview
- Morningstar Document Research--MDR provides access to real-time SEC EDGAR filings, EDGAR archives through 1994. Also annual reports. Public companies
 Funding Sources
- Resources on Foundations and Grants --funding sources list from the UM Graduate Library.
- SBIR -- small business funding
LOCAL INFORMATION (for business plans based in Ann Arbor)
- SimplyMap--Detailed Demographics--EVERYWHERE in US.
- Ann Arbor News --articles from Newsbank. Select Michigan...
- Ann Arbor District Library --information on local business activities
- Ann Arbor Chamber of Commerce --local statistical and business information
- US Census Guide --from UM Government Documents Library site
- Reference USA --for making lists of local businesses
- Regional Business News -—includes Crain’s Detroit (GO IN THRU A-Z list under QUICK LINKS USE UM PORTAL)
- Consumer Statistics -—UM Government Documents Library Web Site--select Consumer Expenditures or Consumer Surveys
 Final Report Writing
- Citation Resources page--quick info. on how to cite business databases
- Refworks--citation software to assist in creating bibliographies and citations of articles
- RefWorks FAQ-- help guide on how to use RefWorks
- Kresge Refworks Handout for Ross Students
In Progress: New Resources from Prof. Len Middleton
Starting and Running a Startup Advice Entrepreneurship Reading List • Books for Startups my favorite business books. • My class and presentation slides! Entrepreneurship Online • Stanford Entrepreneurship Corner • Cornell eClips Angel/SuperAngel Investors • Venture Hacks Angel List – raise money with angel investors • Gust – Platform for Startup Funding • Guide to Super Angels – Chubby Brain • Types of Angel Financing • Angel Financing Tips and here Crowdfunding • Kickstarter - crowdfunding • Indiegogo – crowdfunding • Rock The Post – crowd funding Incubator List/ Startup Jobs • List of Startup Incubators • A Quora list of Incubators • Jobs in Startups • Lunch with Entrepreneurs • Techcofounder – find a technical cofounder • Founder Dating – find a cofounder Advice on Raising Startup Capital • Startup Valuation Advice - Mark Suster May 2011 • Fundraising 101 Checklist – Walker • Pitching a VC - Mark Suster Advice • How VC’s Evaluate Startups – Thomvest Ventures • VC Experts • Seed Stage Valuation Guide - Jordan Cooper • Alternate Funding Ideas – Business Inside Cap Tables / Valuation • Cap Table Template - Fred Wilson • Awesome Valuation/Equity Calculator • Simple CapTable calculator - David Miller • How VC’s Calculate Valuation - Mark Suster Education Financing • Edsurge - educational software • K-12 Education VC Blog - Jennifer Carolan @ NewSchools
Venture Capital Financing • MoneyTree – PricewaterhouseCoopers • Fenwick and West – Venture Financing • NVCA – National Venture Capital Association • Venture Capital Survey – San Jose Mercury News
Boilerplate Venture Funding Documents • Orick’s Legal Documents for Startups – priceless • Scott Walker Advice on Termsheet Provisions • YCombinator Series AA Equity Financing Documents • National Venture Capital Association - model legal documents • Series Seed Documents - Fenwick & West Seed Investment Standard Forms, used by most angels • TechStars Model Seed Funding Documents - Cooley Godward • WSGR Term Sheet Generator • Orrick, Herrington Term Sheet Generator • Founders Institute Plain Preferred Term Sheet - WSGR • Docracy -Free Legal Documents • ScottEdWalker – this legal blog is gold for a startup Intellectual Property Advice • Patents – U.S. Patent Office • Trademarks - U.S. Patent Office • Intellectual Property in the “Real World”- Antone Johnson • “Nuts and Bolts” of Intellectual Property - Antone Johnson • Intellectual Property for Startups - Mashtag Best Startup Advice • Best of Y- Combinator Startup Advice • Tom Eisenmann Platform & Networks – Harvard Business School • Uber list of Startup Resources – Legal, Equity, etc. – Bottom Line Law Group Founder Equity Issues • Fred Wilson Advice and spreadsheet • Intro to Stock and Options – David Weekly • Venture Hacks equity section • Dilution – Mark Suster • Joel Spolsky Advice on fairness • Awesome Valuation/Equity Calculator - OwnYourVenture • Splitting the Founders Pie - Frank Demmler • ScottEdWalker - this legal blog is gold for a startup • TruEquity Mgmt Tool - cap table management, free for founders • Valuation on Revenue – Bill Gurley Above the Crowd Executive / Advisory Board Compensation • The Funded Standard Advisor Template • Comp Study – Executive Compensation Website- unbelievably useful • Expert CEO Compensation page – also incredibly useful • SaaS Sales Team Compensation – Philippe Botteri, Bessemer Venture Partners • VentureHacks on Startup Advisory Boards – great basics Public Relations (PR) For Tech Companies • Tech Reporters Contact Info - Conrad Egusa’s gift to us all • Beginners Guide to PR • Should Startups Announce their Funding – Marc Suster • Should Startups target Tech Blogs? – Marc Suster • 7 steps to get press coverage - Leo Widrich • How to get media coverage - Leo Widrich Finance 101 for Entrepreneurs • MBA Mondays – Fred Wilson’s Tutorials • How to Read a Financial Report, and here – Merrill Lynch Web/Mobile Revenue Models • Web/Mobile Revenue Models – Fred Wilson • Advertising Revenue Models – Fred Wilson • Subscription Revenue Models – Fred Wilson • Peer to Peer Revenue Models – Fred Wilson • Transaction Processing Revenue Models – Fred Wilson • Licensing Revenue Models – Fred Wilson Product Pricing 101 for Entrepreneurs • Product Pricing Wiki Page – great links to pricing models • How to design Web Pricing Pages - from Smashing Magazine Lawyers/Legal • Orick’s Legal Documents for Startups - priceless • Walker Law: Tips for Entrepreneurs • Top Ten Legal Mistakes for Entrepreneurs • Startup Law 101 – George Grellas • Intellectual Property Law For Startups Blog • Yoichiro “Yokum” Taku – Startup Company Lawyer • Startup Law Blog – Davis Wright Tremaine, Joe Wallin • Orrick – Startup Legal Tool Kit • Goodwin, Proctor – Founders Workbench • Law & Disorder: ARS Technica Legal Blog • Likelihood of Confusion-trademark, copyright and Internet Law • Technology & Marketing Law Blog • American Bar Association Best Legal Blogs • Music Law – one of the best legal blogs period. Read all of it. Corporate Innovation Programs • Shell’s Game Changer program • Qualcomm Innovation program • P&G Connect & Develop – Open Innovation List of Investment Platforms • Trusted Insight - Social marketplace for institutional investors • CapLinked - manage and close business transactions • SecondMarket - marketplace for alternate investments Must Read Blogs • Best Blogs Every Entrepreneur should read • Top VC Blog List • Fred Wilson – A VC • Marc Andreessen • Paul Graham • Hacker News • Brad Feld • Chris Dixon • OnStartups-Dharmesh Shah • Both Sides of the Table – Mark Suster • 37signals • Eric Ries – Startup Lessons Learned • Venture Hacks and http://twitter.com/venturehacks • Andrew Chen • Dave McClure • Venture Made Transparent More to read • Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson – Ask the VC • Dharmesh Shah – On startups • Josh Kopelman – Redeye VC • David Hornik – VentureBlog