Medical and Biotech Resources
From Kresge Library
Resources for learning about the Medical and Biotech industries (especially in regards to Medical Devices and Pharmaceuticals). The Medical Websites page contains links to more general sites, including those that can be useful for exploring conditions for the first time.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
 Market Research Reports / Industry Information
- BCC Research provides access to market research reports and market forecasting in numerous areas including: biotechnology, healthcare, and other emerging technologies.
- Medical equipment is one of the industry areas focused on in GBI Research.
- Industries covered include pharmaceuticals, health care and medical devices
- Includes coverage of the following healthcare market sectors: pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, drug discovery technologies, clinical diagnostics, healthcare IT, medical imaging, and medical devices
- Global coverage
- Reports contain information about Market Characteristics, Industry Conditions, Outlook, Up and Down Stream Sectors, etc.
- Best for info on manufacturing and service industries
- U.S. coverage
- Browse the Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Industry Profiles
- Global coverage
- Covers some medical device markets, including patient monitoring, as well as consumer health issues and related topics.
- US and global coverage
- US Industry Surveys include: 1) Biotechnology, 2) Healthcare: Facilities, 3) Healthcare: Managed Care, 4) Healthcare: Pharmaceuticals, 5) Healthcare: Products & Supplies
- Asia Industry Surveys include: 1) Biotechnology, 2) Healthcare: Pharmaceuticals, 3) Healthcare: Products & Supplies
- Europe Industry Surveys include: 1) Biotechnology, 2) Healthcare: Pharmaceuticals, 3) Healthcare: Products & Supplies
 Specialty Resources
- Collection of competitor, deal, financial, and drug pipeline reports for over 2,500 pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and biomedical companies worldwide
- Includes reports of drug pipelines organized by therapy
- Databases include information on medical equipment market size and share, product and pipeline, deals, clinical trials, procedures, and patents, by country and company.
- Downloading of data is not available, but you may view the full reports.
- Coverage of more than 1600 disease conditions across 22 therapeutic areas
- Information about products, clinical trials, regulatory issues, news, deals, company profiles, and disease reports
- Newsletter that provides comprehensive coverage of the medical device industry
- Each issue is in PDF format, available only to Ross School of Business constituents
- To access the issues:
- Visit the Library's launch page for Medical Industry Intelligence
- Do a Keyword search in the Library Catalog for ‘medical industry intelligence and xxx’, where xxx is your topic (examples could be hip,cardiovascular,laser,spinal implants)
- Browse all reports available from Millennium Research Group
- An excellent guide to Pharmacy Resources compiled by Taubman Medical Library Staff
 Patent Information
- The official website of the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Includes tips on searching patent literature; compiled by the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library at UM
 U.S. Government Information / Regulation / Oversight
- Provides regularly updated information about federally and privately supported clinical research in human volunteers
- Gives you information about a trial's purpose, who may participate, locations, and phone numbers for more details
- This Center regulates medical devices and any electronic products that give off (emit) radiation
- The Industry Assistance section of website provides device advice, international issues, information about importing in the U.S., etc.
- Information about FDA-regulated industries
 International Regulatory and Standards agencies
- Explanation and links to regulations governed by the European Union
- Guide and links to regulations and standards for Japanese medicines and equipment
- Links to UK and EU regulations governing pharmaceuticals and OTC drugs, medical devices
- On the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health web site, there are links to sources of Global Health Statistics, U.S. Health Statistics, Michigan Health Statistics, etc.
- Comprehensive set of links and information on resources for United States health-related statistics from a variety of agencies
- In print format, this is located in the Kresge Reference Collection on the 2nd floor of the library; RA 981 .A2 H65 2006
- From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a major operating component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- FASTATS includes statistics on topics like diabetes, drug use (therapeutic), heart disease, and overweight prevalence
- Provides number of surgeries performed in the US by type, along with other treatment types done in hospitals
- Data is updated yearly, with most current about 2 years old
- Provides number of ambulatory surgery cases in hospital-based and freestanding ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs)
- In print format, this is located in the Kresge Reference Collection on the 2nd floor of the library; RA 399 .A3 P58 2010
- available on the Web at http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ or in print format in the Kresge Reference Collection on the 2nd floor of the library; HA 202
- Links to U.S. and international statistics on a wide range of health topics
- Site developed and supported by the Government Documents Library staff at the University of Michigan
- Guide to health and health-related epidemiological and statistical information available from the World Health Organization
 Country Information & Data
- A collection of databases providing a variety of information and data on countries around the world
- News, statistics, company and industry information on emerging market countries in Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe, Africa, etc.
- Hospital listings from around the world - links to online directories, hospital websites
- Link to resources for Europe
- Online directory of hospitals, searchable by country
- Searchable directory of clinics and hospitals (in German - but give it a try)
- Portal for information on healthcare in Germany includes physician and hospital directories, medical databases and more
 Articles in Journals/Magazines
- Use this to locate full-text online journals, including those of a medical nature
- A service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 16 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to the 1950s
- Includes links to full text articles and other related resources
- Use this to locate full-text online journals from the University Libraries
 Other Selected Resources
- Directory of data for hospitals in the United States
- Data include contact information, number of beds, patient volumes for major services like surgeries, clinical services provided, days of care, discharges, etc.
- Basic information on trade and professional associations [e.g., Association of Medical Diagnostics Manufacturers (AMDM)]
- In print format, this is located on the 4th floor stacks in the Kresge Library; HC 110 H53 C82
- In print format, this is located in the Kresge Reference Collection on the 2nd floor of the library; RA 410.A3 D53 2007
- A directory of companies (suppliers and providers) that make up the healthcare industry
- In print format, this is located in the Kresge Reference Collection on the 2nd floor of the library; HD 9994 .U52 D93
- Definition of terms in 20 areas of life sciences
- In print format, this is located in the Kresge Reference Collection on the 4th floor of the library; QH 302.5 M15 2003
- Quantitative data and brief comparative analysis of the commercial performance of more than 180 types of biomedical devices (orthopedic, cardiovascular, imaging, etc.)
- Global analysis of markets per device per therapeutic area, including North America, the Pacific Rim, and Europe
- In print format, this is located in the Kresge Reference Collection on the 2nd floor of the library; HD 9999 .B442 S13 2007
- EXCELLENT guides to resources in bioinformatics, clinical medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, and public health
- Guide to resources at the intersection of health, engineering, and business.
Medical Insurance Reimbursements
- Searching Google for the name of a surgical procedure will often retrieve information on medical insurance reimbursement figures for that procedure, often directly from the companies involved (i.e.: Lilly, Medtronic, Pfizer).
 Specialized Resources
Liver Disease Market Information page on the Kresge Wiki