From Kresge Library
 Kresge Library/University Library Databases
- Guidestar Link for non-Ross Michigan Students, Faculty and Staff
- Single best resource to finding information and IRS 990 forms for United States Nonprofits
- Articles and reports are also useful for researching nonprofit management
- Excellent resource for nonprofit searches in the United States.
- Ability to create the "corporate family" for connected nonprofits - excellent for health organizations
- Easy ability to find related organizations, especially by location.
- The Foundation Center provides a comprehensive source for news and information on U.S.based foundations.
- The site includes: searchable archives of Philanthropy News Digest, Foundation Finder, Philanthropy Search Engine for the web (Sector Search), 990-PF forms, a virtual classroom with online tutorials for proposal writing, bugeting and more.
- Excellent collection of ebooks on business and related topics. Collection includes a number of books on management issues related to nonprofit organizations
- Nonprofit (Keyword Search - more hits)
- Nonprofit (Subject Search - fewer, but more relevant hits)
University Library Resources
- Foundation and Grants Guide (University Library, U of Michigan
- Excellent resource list from University Library for all matters relating to Foundations and Nonprofits
 Nonprofit Organizations
- Resource from California that provides resources, especially to smaller community organizations
- Articles and Publications including speeches and white papers written by those in the field and in academics
- Network of state and regional nonprofit associations serving over 20,000 members in 41 states and the District of Columbia.
- Helps small and midsize nonprofits manage more effectively, collaborate, and engage in critical policy issues
- Sponsors the annual Nonprofit Congress, a meeting on nonprofits for information sharing and local grassroots planning
- Primarily an advocacy group for nonprofits in Michigan; site includes many noteworthy resources including:
 Internet Resources
- Click on "Research that Matters" for research results, including a Nonprofit Compensation and Benefits report
- New online journal for the people who work and volunteer in nonprofit organizations
- Consulting, research and training organization for nonprofits features information on financial planning and strategic management, building and managing nonprofit boards
- From the Better Business Bureau, this site has numerous resources that provide information on larger nonprofit organizations in the United States.
- National Charity Reports Index provide brief reports for leading nonprofits. Useful information includes financial reports as well as the percentage of the funds spent on programs vs. fund raising & administrative. The guidelines for their reports are found in clear documents on the standards employed in reviewing nonprofits.
- Resource from Action without Borders features job postings, volunteer opportunities, a nonprofit directory and links to web information on management, regulation, and development
- Forum for a coalition of over 600 nonprofits includes news, government policy news and information, bookstore featuring nonprofit titles and more
- Indiana University's Joseph and Matthew Payton Philanthropic Studies Library hosts this page which includes information on sources for nonprofit statistics and research, teaching and learning resources
- This web site focuses on nonprofit directories and other web sites (over 100 in all) providing advice or information about running nonprofits.
- For a directory of organizations providing assistance to nonprofit managers, see
- Excellent web guide to internet resources for nonprofits. Includes links to foundations, grants and grantmaking guides, annotated listing of web sites of interest to nonprofits
- Clearinghouse for data on nonprofits in the United States. Includes U.S. and state profiles, access to the NCCS database and a searchable indexto filed IRS 990 forms
- An example of the state profile for Michigan
- Online version of the journal includes resource links, access to back issues and special reports including The NPT Power and Influence 50
- Stanford University's Center for Social Innovation sponsored this research project, a multi-year study of nonprofits. The site offers access to research and other related web content, and an index to nonprofit case studies
- The Institute's page includes links to nonprofit directories, research papers, internet resources and nonprofit statistics
 Budgeting, Financial Management and Analysis
- Web guide from the Free Management Library covers the basics, budget creation, financial statements and analysis
- Guide published by SCORE includes information on strategic and business planning and feasibility studies for nonprofits
- Paper from the University of Wollongong, Australia, addresses financial performance assessment for nonprofits
 Regulatory and Taxation Information
- Tax laws, links to state tax agencies and more, including statistical information about tax-exempt organizations
- Links to some nonprofit annual returns
- Links include tax information, incorporation information, and state forms and procedures
 Grants and Fundraising
- Information on policy affecting nonprofits, including oversight and accountability, advocacy, fiscal policy, charitable solicitations, government grant and contract issues
- Links to government agencies offering grants, grant writing assistance and funding directories
 Board governance
- Electronic newsletter for nonprofit board members includes news, opinion and links to resources
- Find a board to serve on, or search for potential board members on this site which includes over 12,000 candidates and boards
- One of the premier websites dedicated to nonprofit governance, BoardSource provides access to workshops and training, governance consultants and a catalog of reference materials on nonprofit governance. The site also provides links to papers and articles, e-books, web resources and BoardSource research
- Everything you need to know about the IRS rules governing public charities, including criteria for 501(c)(3) status, records keeping, what to file and when
- The Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation Nonprofit Leadership Initiative produces the guide, covering advocacy, financial and organizational management, fundraising and governance
- Download the reference edition of the report produced by the Panel on the Nonprofit Sector, convened by Independent Sector. Report outlines 33 practices to support board members and staff of charitable organizations
- Strategies, tools and ideas for nonprofits, foundations, and socially responsible businesses. Stanford's Center for Social Innovation in the Graduate School of Business produces the journal,an opinion blog and an "Ask the Expert" feature
- News, opinion and Commentary from Inside the Third Sector. Blog dedicated to nonprofit philanthropic organizations features commentary on all aspects of nonprofit management and governance