Fort Gratiot Light

From lighthouses

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Current revision (10:48, 4 June 2009) (edit) (undo)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:Fort Gratiot Light.jpg|thumb|250px|''Fort Gratiot Light'' in 1994]]
[[Image:Fort Gratiot Light.jpg|thumb|250px|''Fort Gratiot Light'' in 1994 - 18th trip]]
Port Huron, Michigan
Port Huron, Michigan

Current revision

Fort Gratiot Light in 1994 - 18th trip
Fort Gratiot Light in 1994 - 18th trip

Port Huron, Michigan

Built: 1825

Decommissioned: 1933

The Fort Gratiot Light was the first lighthouse on Lake Huron, constructed in 1825 just north of Fort Gratiot. It was destroyed by a violent storm in 1828, and subsequently rebuilt and put back into service in 1829. It was once again rebuilt in 1861, and an adjacent two-story dwelling was added in 1875. The Fort Gratiot Light is still in service today, though it was automated by the Lighthouse Service in 1933. It is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Michigan.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/4/2009.

Personal tools