Baltimore Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Baltimore Light in 2007 - 49th trip
Baltimore Light in 2007 - 49th trip

Gibson Island, Maryland

Built: 1908

Automated: 1923

This 2.5-story, octagonal, white brick dwelling sits on a caisson located on the Magothy River, at the south entrance to Craighill Channel from Chesapeake Bay. It was originally fitted with a 4th order Fresnel lens and a fog bell. The fog bell was replaced with a fog horn in 1923. From 1964-66 the light was powered by a small experimental atomic reactor. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 1/29/2010.

Personal tools