Cape Bear Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Cape Bear Light in 2009 - 50th trip
Cape Bear Light in 2009 - 50th trip

Murray River, Prince Edward Island

Built: 1902

This 12 meter (40 foot) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery is located at the southeastern most point of PEI. It has an attached 1-story wood annex (operated as a museum) that is a replica (built in 1999) of the Marconi Radio Station that operated here from 1905 to 1922 and was the first Canadian land station to receive the distress call of the Titanic in 1912. During World War II the lighthouse was used for spotting German U-boats that neared the coast. Several were seen along the shore, but disappeared while being tracked. In 1963 the keeper's house was moved a quarter mile from the lighthouse.

Cape Bear Light in 2009 - 50th trip
Cape Bear Light in 2009 - 50th trip

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 9/19/2010.

Personal tools