Cape d'Or Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Cape d'Or Light in 2009 - 50th trip
Cape d'Or Light in 2009 - 50th trip

Advocate Harbour, Nova Scotia

Built: 1965

Automated: 1989

This lighthouse, consisting of a one-story fog signal building with a light tower rising from one corner, marks the northern entrance into Minas Basin from the Bay of Fundy. It replaced the first 6.7 meters (22 feet) tall, pepper-shaker tower which had been relocated to the site in 1922. After automation, the two nearby keeper’s dwellings, completed in 1959, sat vacant until 1995 when they were converted into a tearoom and hostel. Darcy Snell, and his wife, Jenna Boon, opened a full-service restaurant in one dwelling and a guesthouse in the other after they took over operation of the site in 2000. This is the only lighthouse in Nova Scotia to offer overnight accommodations.

Cape d'Or Light in 2009 - 50th trip
Cape d'Or Light in 2009 - 50th trip

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 9/19/2010.

Personal tools