Cockspur Island Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Cockspur Island Light in 1993 - 17th trip
Cockspur Island Light in 1993 - 17th trip

Savannah, Georgia

Built: 1856

Decommissioned: 1909

This light sits on a small oyster bed just east of the main island at the mouth of Lazaretto Creek, near Fort Pulaski National Monument. It once marked the south channel of the Savannah River. The first tower on this site was built in 1849 but was rebuilt in 1856 to this present structure. The light was dark during the Civil War, but was reestablished in 1868. It was discontinued in 1909 due to the unnavigability of the South Channel. It is currently owned by the National Park Service who completely restored the structure in 1978. It was given a much needed face-lift in 1991 by a crew from the Fort Pulaski National Monument.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/4/2009.

Personal tools