Conimicut Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Conimicut Light in 1997 - 28th trip
Conimicut Light in 1997 - 28th trip

Warwick, Rhode Island

Built: 1883

Automated: 1963

The original granite stone tower was built on this site in 1868 to warn ships of Conimicut Point Shoal, a long sandbar which extends from Conimicut Point to the light. Located midway between Nayatt Point and Conimicut Point, it was replaced by this current 58-foot tall caisson-type cast-iron tower in 1883. This light used a kerosene lamp for illumination until 1960, when it became the last lighthouse in the United States to be converted to electricity.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/4/2009.

Personal tools