Curtis Island Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Curtis Island Light in 2002 - 40th trip
Curtis Island Light in 2002 - 40th trip

Curtis Island, Maine

Built: 1896

Automated: 1972

This 25 foot tall brick tower with small entrance building is located on the south side of the entrance to Camden Harbor in Penobscot Bay. Originally constructed in 1835, it was rebuilt in 1896 to its present form. The farmhouse style, wooden keeper's dwelling built in 1889 sits nearby. The original fourth-order Fresnel lens was replaced by a 300 mm solar powered lens in 1994. The fourth-order lens is on display at the Camden Public Library.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 9/2/2009.

Personal tools