Devils Island Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Devils Island Light in 1994 - 19th trip
Devils Island Light in 1994 - 19th trip

Devils Island, Wisconsin

Built: 1901

Automated: 1978

This light was the last lighthouse to be placed in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior. First built as a temporary wood skeleton tower in 1891, it was replaced by this current 71 foot steel cylindrical tower in 1901. This light station consisted of two large houses - one for the keeper and another for his assistant. There was also a fog signal building and various other outbuildings. The station was so well run and comfortable that it attracted a visit from President and Mrs. Calvin Coolidge in August of 1928. This light was the last of the Apostle Islands lights to be automated.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/4/2009.

Personal tools