Dutch Island Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Dutch Island Light in 1997 - 28th trip
Dutch Island Light in 1997 - 28th trip

Jamestown, Rhode Island

Built: 1857

Automated: 1947

Decommissioned: 1979

This 42-foot tall square brick tower and oil house are all that remain of the old light station. Until shortly after 1947 it was attached to a keeper's dwelling that was built in 1857 as well. This light replaced the original light on the island which had been built in 1827. Its purpose was to guide ships into Dutch Island Harbor as well as through the west entrance to Narragansett Bay. It is now under the care of the Dutch Island Lighthouse Society.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/4/2009.

Personal tools