Gay Head Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Gay Head Light in 1997 - 28th trip
Gay Head Light in 1997 - 28th trip

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

Built: 1856

Automated: 1956

This 51-foot tall brick tower (170 feet above sea level) marks the Devils Bridge Rocks at the entrance to the Vineyard Sound. It replaced the original 1799, 47-foot tall wood octagonal tower. The new tower was fitted with a first-order lens, one of the first Fresnel lenses used in the country. All of the station's buildings have been dismantled or destroyed and only the tower remains today. In 1990 the lighthouse was opened to the public for the first time in 35 years.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/4/2009.

Personal tools