Hendricks Head Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Hendricks Head Light in 2002 - 40th trip
Hendricks Head Light in 2002 - 40th trip

West Southport, Maine

Built: 1875

Automated: 1975

Decommissioned: 1933-1951

This 39 foot tall, square, brick tower is the second light tower at the site, the first having been built in 1829. It is located on a small promontory on the west side of Southport Island, bordering the east side of the Sheepscot River mouth. The present tower originally held a fifth-order Fresnel lens that was replaced in 1979. The light was discontinued in 1933 and sold to a private individual. The light was reactivated in 1951 in response to increased boating traffic in the area. The light is still privately owned and has been completely restored to near perfect condition. The US Coast Guard maintains the beacon.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 9/2/2009.

Personal tools