Mohawk Island Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Mohawk Island Light in 1991 - 11th trip
Mohawk Island Light in 1991 - 11th trip

Mohawk Island, Ontario

Built: 1848

Decommissioned: 1969

Located just off shore near Lowbanks, Ontario, this light originally guided ships heading for the harbor of Port Maitland and the first Welland Canal entrance. The entrance to the Canal was moved to Port Colborne 12 miles away, but the Mohawk Island Light remained in service until 1969. All that remains today are the stone walls of its dwelling and the shell of the seven-story tower.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/3/2009.

Personal tools