Morris Island Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Morris Island Light in 1993 - 17th trip
Morris Island Light in 1993 - 17th trip

Charleston, South Carolina

Built: 1876

Decommissioned: 1962

Located at the entrance to Charleston Harbor, the first light here was built in 1767 and was one of only two lighthouses found south of the Delaware Bay by the end of the Revolution. The original tower was destroyed during the Civil War. The keeper's dwelling of this present light has been claimed by erosion and the tower itself is now surrounded by water. This light served until 1962 when the new Charleston Light was put into service. It was privately owned until recently when it was purchased by the "Save the Light" group and deeded to the State of South Carolina.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/4/2009.

Personal tools