Old Port Washington Light

From lighthouses

Jump to: navigation, search
Old Port Washington Light in 2003 - 41st trip
Old Port Washington Light in 2003 - 41st trip

Port Washington, Wisconsin

Built: 1860

Decommissioned: 1903

This integral light tower structure sits on a hill overlooking the entrance to the Sauk River from Lake Michigan. The light was deactivated in 1903 and the tower, lantern room, and widow's walk were removed. The building continued to house Coast Guard personnel, until it was leased to the Port Washington Historical Society in 1992. Restoration of the tower and lantern room began in November 2000, and is now complete.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/4/2009.

Personal tools