Beaver Island (Beaver Head) Light

From lighthouses

Revision as of 22:49, 3 June 2009 by (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Beaver Island (Beaver Head) Light in 1992 - 12th trip
Beaver Island (Beaver Head) Light in 1992 - 12th trip

Beaver Island, Michigan

Built: 1858

Decommissioned: 1962

This light is located at Beaver Head, at the southern end of Beaver Island, and marks the west side of the approach used by most vessels passing from Lake Michigan into the Straits of Mackinac. The first tower on this site was built in 1852 but was rebuilt into this present tower in 1858. The keeper's house was added in 1866. It currently is owned by the Charlevoix Public School District and used as an environmental education center.

Navigational Options

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey

Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2011 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.

This article was last modified on 6/3/2009.

Personal tools